See tips for before the conference
See tips for after the conference
Now that you’re in Vancouver, what can you do during the 2023 Annual Education Conference (AEC) to make the most of your time and energy? Read on to find out…
- At registration, don’t forget to pick up some ribbons to attach to your badge. Your flair can help you connect with others by letting them know what region you are from, whether you work at a firm or a school, and more. Be sure to grab a “Newcomer” ribbon too!
- Attend the Newcomers Orientation on Tuesday, April 25, from 5-6 pm in Room 109-110. This is a great opportunity to get additional tips and meet other newcomers. You’ll also learn how to participate in the Newcomers’ Ready, Set, NALP! Scavenger Hunt and get access to the scavenger hunt platform.
- Know that it’s impossible to do everything. Check back in with the priorities and learning objectives you set for yourself (or with your supervisor) before the conference to help you choose between all the awesome panels, networking events, and social opportunities.
- Attend a section meeting and a regional reception.
- The Newer Professionals Section will meet on Wednesday, April 26 during lunch.
- Regional receptions are Wednesday from 4:15 - 5:15 pm.
- Most open NALP sections will meet on Thursday from 2:45 - 4:00 pm. A full list of sections and room numbers is available here (PDF).
- Go back to your attendee list — as you meet people, make brief notes of what you talked about with them so you can connect in the future. Introduce yourself to everyone you sit next to at any program, meal, or reception.
- Take note of these three great places to engage with other attendees:
- In the sessions when seated next to someone
- On the shuttle bus to the Member Celebration at the Vancouver Aquarium
- In the lobby of your hotel as you see others walking to the event
- If you are an introvert or just need a little quiet, don’t be afraid to carve out some time for yourself to recharge your battery.
- Visit the Exhibit Hall to connect with all the great conference vendors, pick up some swag, and enter prize drawings. (Don’t forget those business cards!) You can also get a headshot if you need one. Some vendors will be more relevant to certain types of attendees than others, but you are absolutely welcome to talk to all of them (and have them stamp your vendor passport for prizes). Be sure to attend the prize drawing on Thursday, April 27 at 4:15 pm in the Exhibit Hall.
- Don’t skip the NALP business meeting on Friday, April 28 at noon in Ballroom AB. It is the start of a new business year for NALP and a great way to learn more about NALP’s activities and connect with NALP leadership. This lunch can be a great opportunity to think more deeply about how you would like to be involved with NALP going forward.
- Expect to experience some let-down as you return to daily life after the excitement of the conference. Be kind to yourself.