VICE-PRESIDENT FOR MEMBER SERVICES AND EDUCATION 2020-2022
The position of Vice-President for Member Services and Education is not open for nominations this year
because the term of the current incumbent runs from 2020-2022. The
following information is provided for members' information only.
Vice-President for Member Services and Education shall, in the absence of the President, preside at
business meetings of the Board of Directors, the regions, and/or the
general membership. The Vice-President for Member Services and Education 1) assists the President in conducting the affairs of the
association, 2) serves a two-year term, and 3) assumes the responsibility to attend all meetings of the
Board of Directors during her/his term of office.
Candidates for Vice-President for Member Services and Education make a commitment to the association to serve as described below:
- With the President, President-Elect, and Vice-President for Finance, serves as an officer of the association.
- In conjunction with other officers, plans and coordinates orientation activities for the incoming Board of Directors.
the absence of the President, presides at business meetings of the
Board of Directors, the regions, or the general membership.
Volunteer Leadership and Conferences
- Serves as Chair of the Regional Resources Council and acts as a liaison between the Regional Representatives.
- Coordinates and chairs meetings with the Regional Representatives including an orientation/training session on the Monday and Tuesday immediately preceding the Annual Education Conference and any other in person meetings or phone conferences.
- Coordinates activities of the Regional Representatives and reports to the Board of Directors regarding the same.
- Participates as an active member of other Sections, Committees, Groups, and Task Forces as requested by the President.
with conference programming and supports the President in convening and
leading the Conference Planning Committee.
- Coordinates preparation of Directors and Regional Representatives for regional business meetings at the Annual Education Conference.
Fiscal and Administrative
- Consults with the officers in proposing the annual budget.
Communications and Public Relations
NALP to external audiences, including writing articles and speaking at
conferences and meetings with the approval of the President.
- Writes for the NALP Bulletin as appropriate.
Time Commitment — Vice-President for Member Services and Education
In addition to the time required to complete the tasks described above:
all meetings of the Board of Directors during their term of office
(Board meetings are generally held in May, July, November, February, and
immediately prior to the Annual Education Conference). Currently scheduled Board meetings during this term: April 27-28, 2020 (Montreal, QC, Canada); May 27-29, 2020 (Washington, DC); July 15-17, 2020 (Whitefish, MT); November 12-14, 2020 (Nashville, TN); February 25-27, 2021 (Sonoma, CA); April 26-27, 2021 (Scottsdale, AZ); and April 4-5, 2022 (New Orleans, LA).
the Annual Education Conference immediately prior to the term of office
and the two Conferences during the term of office: April 28-May 1, 2020 (Montreal, QC, Canada); April 27-30, 2021 (Scottsdale, AZ); and April 5-8, 2022 (New Orleans, LA).
- Attends meetings, if convened, of the Regional Resource Council.
nights (nights away on NALP business): Approximately 20-22 required
nights each year. Additional optional nights as requested.
Vice-President for Member Services and Education typically has the most significant time commitment in the spring, from preparation for Regional Resource Council activities at the Annual Education Conference through the conference planning meeting (typically mid-June). The work of the Regional Resource Council is spread throughout the year.
- Under ordinary circumstances, there is an expectation that candidates slated to a Vice-President position will see that term in office through before accepting a nomination for another elected or slated term. In other words, Vice-Presidents in elected or slated positions of two-year terms should not, under ordinary circumstances, accept a nomination for another elected or slated position in the first year of their term, but may do so in their second year.
Resources and Support Available to the Vice-President for Member Services and Education
Vice-President for Member Service and Education's employer is entitled to reimbursement of up to $10,000
over the term of office for resources expended and expenses incurred in
supporting the duties as Vice-President for Member Services and Education of NALP. The Vice-President for Member Services and Education
will have discretion to budget the funds as will best support the
duties to NALP. No more than one half of the total amount can be used
in the first-year of the term.
- The Vice-President for Member Services and Education may call upon the NALP staff for support in carrying out the duties of the NALP Vice-President.
Vice-President for Member Services and Education is eligible for reimbursable travel expenses associated
with NALP Board meetings and any additional NALP-related required
- The Vice-President for Member Services and Education is eligible for reimbursable
dependent care expenses (up to $1,000 per year) above regularly
anticipated cost of such expenses incurred as a result of Board
View all position descriptions as a PDF here.